Crosswise Works is a social enterprise that has existed for 5 years. We support entrepreneurs and build enterprises in emerging economies in Africa. Important themes in our work are entrepreneurship development, partnership building and access to finance. We manage large development programs but also deliver consultancy services. We are fast, flexible and lean. We cherish proven methods but also like to try out new tools. And we never work alone. Partnerships are very important to us.
In our programs, projects and consultancy assignments we build and implement ideation and incubation pathways for startups, offer crowdfunding and design innovative funds, build partnerships across sectors and strengthen entrepreneurial ecosystems. Check out The Next Economy, in which we collaborate with multiple parties such as SOS Children’s Villages, crowdfunding technology GoodUp, and local ESO’s in Nigeria, Mali and Somalia/Somaliland. Another of our multi-year programs is Boost Your Business, focusing on the circular economy of Mombasa, Kenya.
From being a small startup up until 2019 we have grown to nine staff members in 2020 at HQ and 15 partnerships across the African continent. We are recognized by partners and clients as a social enterprise able to run large scale programs and offering valued consultancy services. Within this framework we aim to scale our consultancy work, seek more partnerships and sustain our current team in the Netherlands. The past year we have worked hard to strike a balance between structure, procedures and systems and our wish to be flexible, experimental and offer quality services by highly skilled professionals who excel at what they do. We have not achieved that balance yet! We are therefore looking for a Managing Director that is able to:
- Strengthen the internal organization so it can sustain its efforts;
- Ensure that foundation is flexible enough to move with the tides of the development sector and strengthens the consultancy work;
- Develop a strong trust in the expertise and skills of our professionals;
- Build a management framework within which our staff can thrive; and
- Stimulate quality and results.
The Managing Director will be requested to strike a balance between participatory involvement and decisive action. The DNA of Crosswise Works is determined by the collective. We find spirit and joy in learning and collaboration and our international staff ideally spends most of their time making an impact. As our Managing Director you will first support building the foundation for a solid, financially sustainable and balanced professional organization. From there you will be able to maintain it with optimal processes, human resource management and decision-making based on relevant data and insights from the staff. Furthermore, you will represent our organization towards donors and clients. Both internal and external you are visible, open and accessible and someone who builds reliable and sustainable relationships. All of this requires a strong feel for sustainable entrepreneurship in Africa we aim to achieve.
What Your Are Bringing
- Proven experience with end responsibility in a management position;
- Proven experience with management and implementation of large donor funded development programs;
- Preferably worked in a social enterprise that combines donor funded programs with consultancy assignments;
- Preferably know-how and experience on themes such as sustainable economic development and entrepreneurship development;
- Successful in representing an organization in the field of development interventions;
- Affinity with working on the African continent and across cultures;
- (Applied) academic level thinking;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Professional working proficiency (writing and speaking) in English, preferably also Dutch;
- You can easily switch between different cultures, quickly understanding and operating in a new context; and
- You reside in the Netherlands (preferably the ‘Randstad’) and are allowed to work here.
What Can We Offer You?
Crosswise Works offers a challenging job, contributing to sustainable development with a committed team. We can offer a gross fulltime salary in the range of €4.200 and €5.500 per month with a minimum of 32-hours per week. In addition, we provide travel allowance, 28 vacation days per year and additional employment conditions such as a working from home scheme and study budget. At the moment we do not offer a pension scheme. In addition to the content of the position, you will be in the position to support the team and yourself in creating sufficient opportunities for personal growth and development.
Send a motivation letter with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before Monday March 8th, 12:00h. We encourage your motivation letter to include contact information of references. Make sure to include references that represent the entire social enterprise, business or organization you have managed. Only candidates who meet the requirements of the position will be shortlisted and notified before March 10th. Based on online coffee meetings we will come to a compact shortlist. Those candidates we will assess in two rounds: 1) a minimum of two conversations with key staff in the organization, 2) an assessment based on a relevant case study with staff and board members. We expect to have the first coffee conversations on Friday March 12th. If you have any questions feel free to ask via email.
We are committed to creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive work space. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated.